Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tale of Woe

I finally decided to overcome my fear of colorwork. Things were going well. Sure, I was probably going to run out of yarn (the danger of using leftovers) and I had some twisted stitches (must make sure to wrap the yarn in the right direction when anchoring the main color), but overall, I was very pleased.


Pretty bird design, the colors are working out, everything is reasonably even and likely to get more even with blocking. So I decide to try on the sock.


Yeah. That sock is not going over my heel, ever.


Moral of the story: yes, stranded colorwork is in fact less stretchy than regular knitting. Rrrrrip!

8 comments:

Katie said...

My colorwork is hideously tight as well. However, I discovered that it's *slightly* easier to keep the floats loos(er) when you work it inside out.

Zonda said...

What a bummer! It was looking so pretty!

Unknown said...

Oh hope you didn't rip! what lovely finger less gloves, you've started--(color work for sock? for smelly feet? where the details can't be seen) NO color work for hats and hands and showing off
Its beautiful.. please say you didn't rip it!

Sylvie said...

What's the pattern? It's gorgeous

Kaye said...

Awww...so sad! It was otherwise lovely though!

Rebel said...

it's a beautiful pattern... can you alter them into wrist warmers?

jpknits said...

Very pretty work, though. And a helpful heads-up to those of us thinking about the same leap.


Meanwhile, welcome to the three socks knit club. Sometimes I really do think I've worked most of that spare by the time I am done....

JP

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

It was pretty while it lasted. I think colorwork is odious. It gives me a tension headache (Ba dump bum), so I don't do it.