Saturday, January 02, 2010

Sugar Buzz

Weeee!
I've baked cupcakes two days in a row, and we just got back from Mr. Batty's co-worker's house... I'm high on sugar. I brought cupcakes, and they had several kinds of cake. Bounce, bounce, bounce!

Ahem. Look, entrelac! I like how this sock is coming along. Except for the in-between-stripe stripes, which are pooling and turning into undefined blobs in the entrelac pattern. A straightforward self-striping yarn would have been better. But this isn't bad enough to rip. Overall, I think these socks will be OK. I'm almost down to the toe. The heel is an afterthought heel, so no heel yet.


As I said, cupcakes. I made some, with chocolate buttercream frosting. Except it's not butter, they're vegan. But they're very good.


I had some... swirling difficulties. They make it look so easy on TV! Me, I end up with turd-shaped swirly brown blobs. I guess I don't have a bright future in cake decorating ahead of me. Oh, well.

11 comments:

Bonnie said...

Mmmm, vegan chocolate cupcakes. What a treat! Is the recipe from a cookbook or someplace online?

Paige said...

Oooh, I really want to try and afterthought heel! Can't wait to se how yours turns out!

Vanessa said...

I will give you a tip on the cupcakes. A friend of mine is a baker, and to do the nice swirls you need a 1 cm tip!! The largest they usually give you in a kit is about half the size you need. I had no idea!

Now I want a chocolate cupcake...

cpurl17 said...

the socks look great but I got distracted like those cupcakes, yum!!

Mary said...

Oh Batty, Du strickst Entrelac-Socken, wie fantastisch. Nachdem ich mir mal die Anleitung durchgelesen hatte, schien mir das immer sehr aufwendig!

Schieb mir doch so ein leckeres Küchlein rüber!

Liebe Grüße
Mary

Rebel said...

MMMMMMMMM cupcakes! Good for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Cute socks too.

Norm Deplume said...

Love the entrelac socks. It's funny how the little in-between-the-stripes bits look so blobby. And the cupcakes, too. They also look fantastic in their blobbiness. (Where did you get your vegan buttercream recipe?)

Peri said...

Mmmm very descriptive...turd shaped blobs - lol.

Love the entrelac socks!

ChestyLove said...

My cupcakes used to look like that too till I took up work in a bakery as a decorator and discovered the joys of the French tip (giant star tip). Vanessa's right...that's the secret to making them swirly and magnificent. After I started using that (I keep it in my cutlery drawer), I started getting compliments galore.

What's really fun is if you take a bit of dye paste and paint a thin line of colouring up one side and down the other. The swirls look AWESOME, but it takes a few tries to get it right. You can buy customised bags that kinda do the same thing. ANd hey, you can eat the rejects because your stomach doesn't give a toss how well the icing looks!

Maureen said...

Those cupcakes look soooo good! Maybe I can make those for dinner instead of a real one! Love the socks too. What fun yarn to use for entrelac! I had fun reading you last post too about resolutions. That is big... not to buy yarn at all! Sometimes it is just a sale that gets me! I don't need anymore yarn, but sock yarn calls to me!

Anonymous said...

I'd still totally eat those. In fact, the vegan recipe makes them all the more appealing. Thank goodness for B&N Christmas gift certificates.