Tuesday, September 30, 2008

First Toe Up Socks!

I thought they'd never get done, but here they are... my first ever toe-up socks!


Here they are from the front...


...and here on blockers...


...and here sideways without flash, so you can see the pretty pattern. I, too, can knit toe-up socks!


Pattern details:
Pattern: Feet First from Simply Knitting, Issue 39 (Spring 2008)
Yarn: Panda Cotton
Color: Roses
Needles: US #0
Modifications: I knit the medium width, which turned out to be a mistake in this slippery yarn. It's beautiful but has too much drape -- I'd use it again for a shawl, but not for socks. Anyhow, medium width, foot length as per the small size, everything else medium... extra repeats of the lace pattern for a longer cuff, plus 10 rows of ribbing. I'll knit these again -- in the small, in a sproingier yarn.

14 comments:

adrienne said...

Awesome! They look great! It's so much fun doing new things.

Mary, Mary... said...

Congrats on the socks! Yipes, I've got a sock on the needles with the same yarn but I'm using a very basic pattern. Fingers crossed...
(pssst, I just got a really cool Japanese bat print fabric from Superbuzzy--not Halloweeny at all)

cpurl17 said...

Whoo hoo!! They came out perfect!

Soo said...

Hmmmm....I still haven't attempted the toe up sock..... Perhaps a resolution for 2009!

Bezzie said...

Drapeyness aside--they're beautiful!

Amanda said...

They look great! You did a wonderful job - congrats, another technique to add to your knitting portfolio! ;)

Beverly said...

Yay for toe ups! Great job!

Maureen said...

How lovely! Nice work!!

weezalana said...

They look great! And you'd never guess those were your very first toe-ups!

sgeddes said...

They look great! It alwaysI love toe up socks. Its feels good to finish something like that!

Zonda said...

Love them!!

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful! I've yet to challenge myself with a pair of toe-up.

Thanks for the yarn notes, too. That rose colorway would make a lovely, drapey shawl or scarf.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yay for your first toe-ups!! They are so pretty!!

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

loverly sockses. Toe-up definitely my preferred method. In what kind of library do you work to get to travel so much? I do have one perc that I love. I overhear this whispered once every couple of years, "Look Mama, there goes that libarry girl!" It's like being a movie star.